The NEW YORK STATE OUTDOOR WRITERS ASSOCIATION, Inc., (NYSOWA) is a professional organization of writers, editors, artists, photographers, broadcasters, telecasters, lecturers and others dedicated to increasing public awareness, understanding and appreciation of our outdoor heritage and the use and enjoyment of our natural resources.
The primary purpose of the organization is to improve knowledge and skill among its members in the art of communication.
The Declaration of Principles of the NYSOWA was formed:
- to improve the art and media of expression relative to the out-of-doors and its enjoyment;
- to keep the public informed on matters relating to the earth’s natural resources, such as proper management, conservation, use and restoration thereof;
- to encourage the highest standard of ethics in the use of these resources;
- to weld into every member’s character a sense of independence to the end that the flow of their expression on topical matters of interest in the sphere of environmental conservation is without regard to fear of penalty, or favor, either from this association, or any other organization, or governmental unit;
- to promote integrity in its members, while permitting the freest development of their art; and to work for the intellectual, moral, and literary advancement of all members.