Inaugural Event: 2016 Fall Conference Awards Dinner
Submission deadline: May 1, 2016
Entry form can be found in the 2016 Winter Newsletter.
Subsequent Events: Every two years- Annual Fall Conference Awards Dinner
(may be adjusted to annual or three years as needed based on participation)
Eligibility & Submission Requirements:
- Current NYSOWA Member in good standing
- Inaugural contest- book or ebook published/released from Jan 1, 2012, to May 1, 2016.
- Subsequent contests to accept titles published contest-to-contest deadlines (two years as proposed)
- Maximum of two titles may be entered (30 pages minimum per book)
- If 2nd edition (3rd, 4th, etc), 20% of the book must be revised or contain new material. f a previous edition has won first, second or third in a previous NYSOWA EIC, subsequent editions may not be entered.
Open category--open to all outdoor-related topics/formats, including but not limited to contract/self-published, Printed/E-book, Photo/fiction/non-fiction/cookbook
--Submission for each title to include two paperback or hardcover copies, (ebook- printed/bound, include cover artwork) Include a 1:1, 300 dpi jpeg of cover for website and awards publication.
--$5 for each book/ebook entry(s) to cover mailing to judges. If no other EIC writing contests are entered, an additional $5 entry fee is required and covers one or more of any of the EIC contests.
- Each title to be reviewed by two judges,
- Judges to review no more than 3 titles each unless deemed permissible by judges and awards chairman
- Judges to be an Industry professional i.e. writer/editor/publisher. Selection to be made by awards chairman/committee.
- Categories/Scoring for judging Criteria (100 maximum score per judge)
- Overall impression / Originality / Quality: 1 to 50 points -Presentation, stimulating and appropriate to audience. Clear focus and original material.
- Design: 1 to 20 points -Technical execution- formatting/ cover/print quality
- Mechanics: 1 to 30 points -Readability, style, usage, grammar and organization
- Scores from judges are tallied together to determine ranking Criteria (200 maximum score total)
- 1st-, 2nd- and 3rd-place awards duplicate those given in the other EIC categories.
- Judges and/or awards chairman may grant/determine “honorable mentions” at their discretion.