NYSOWA Spring Safari 2018
This year’s event is set for May 17-20.
The Oswego County Department of Community Development, Tourism and Planning is teaming with NYSOWA to host a diverse and action-packed Spring Safari in Oswego County, NY.
About Oswego County
Located on the southeastern shore of Great Lake Ontario, Oswego County offers a wealth of outstanding recreational opportunities for the outdoors enthusiast. The county’s tourism department has designed an exciting itinerary to showcase the area:
- Lake Ontario charter boat trips for brown trout
- Lake Ontario tributary stream fishing
- Turkey hunting
- Scenic photography
- Mushroom foraging
- Tour the NYS DEC fish hatchery on the Salmon River
- Tour International Sportfishing Museum in Altmar, NY.
We’ll be staying in cabins at Selkirk Shores State Park, 7101 State Route 3, Pulaski. https://parks.ny.gov/parks/84/details.aspx
In addition to spectacular sunsets over Great Lake Ontario, visitors to Selkirk Shores State Park can expect outstanding fishing and popular hiking and biking trails that lead to a lush mix of meadows and woodlands. The park attracts more than 100,000 visitors annually and is directly in the migration route for a wide variety of bird species.
- Cabins 12 – 18 on the Cabin Colony Loop have been reserved to accommodate up to 30 guests for the Spring Safari.
- The cabins feature toilets, hot water, stove and refrigerator, wood stove or fireplace, screened porch and access to picnic tables and fire pits.
- Some, but not all of the cabins include hot showers. For those cabins without a shower, there is a separate building to shower.
- Writers will have to supply their own kitchen utensils and linens.
- For those who prefer to camp, sites are available directly overlooking a bluff on Lake Ontario.
For guests arriving on Thursday, May 17, there will be a welcome reception at Selkirk Shores from 4 to 6 p.m. to discuss and finalize daily plans for the safari. Dinner will be on your own. There are several restaurants, pubs and diners in nearby Pulaski, Mexico and Oswego.
Friday, May 18, dinner will be hosted by the Oswego County Federation of Sportsman Clubs at the Tailwater Lodge, http://tailwaterlodge.com/, 52 Pulaski St., Altmar, NY.
Saturday, May 19, catered BBQ dinner will be hosted by the Oswego County Department of Community Development, Tourism and Planning at Selkirk Shores.
Breakfast: We will have coffee and donuts at one of the cabins. Also, breakfasts and boxed lunch arrangements can be made for guests to order breakfast or boxed lunch items from Millhouse Market in Pulaski.
Finally, there are two diners close to the campgrounds: Brandy's Sunrise Restaurant on Rte 3 opens at 6 am. Hometown Diner on Jefferson St, Pulaski opens at 6 am. Dunkin Donuts in Pulaski opens at 5 am. The place right across from Selkirk doesn't open until later.
Lunches: One of the lunches (either Friday or Saturday) will be covered by the Douglaston Salmon Run, a private fishing area on the lower end of the Salmon River. The other day, Safari attendees will be responsible for their own lunches.
Cost of Safari
3 nights at Selkirk Shores Campgrounds cabin, $100 per person
Cabins all have a fridge, stove, electric outlets, bathroom, toilet. No shower. Heated by a fireplace. A main shower building available for all cabins and campers.
2 nights at Selkirk Shores Campgrounds cabin, $70 per person
1 night at Selkirk Shores Campgrounds cabin, $35 per person
Cabins each have two bedrooms: one room with two single beds; the other, with a double-sized bed. Figure 3-4 persons per cabin. Bring your own sheets/ pillows, towels – and cooking utensils.
*** All attendees…. Whether you’re in a cabin, camping or RV, please include in your payment extra $15 for snacks, drinks for hospitality cabin and any other extraneous costs.
*Campers/RVs (Make your own reservations)
- For those who want to camp: $15 for a site on Thursday; $19 per night for Saturday and Sunday.
- For those who want to bring an RV, the cost is $21 for Thurs. night; $25 per night for Saturday, Sunday.
Registration checks must be sent no later than May 1st:
Make Checks out to David Figura and mail to 4080 O’Neil Lane, Skaneateles, NY. 13152, NO LATER THAN MAY 1st.
For those who want to go on the brown trout fishing charters, please get back to me NO LATER THAN APRIL 15th.
For more information, please contact the meeting chair, David Figura at 315-470-6066 or at email@example.com.